Monday, March 5, 2012

My Space




      I haven't received any request on tutorials but someone did ask me about my sewing space so I'm going to share a few pictures. I have a limited amount of space to begin with and since our last child arrived we are growing out of our home! I have a split space it's a computer/sewing room/ with a few toys for the kids :) room.So I have a "L" shaped desk and one side is for my computer and the other side I use for sewing & embroidery which I keep a child's gate up to complete the division. This way my kids can be in the room while I'm working but I don't have to worry about them getting into things or pulling a hot iron down so its works out good and I have utilized every inch of space possible. It can get aggravating climbing back and forth over the gate especially if you have short legs like me but worth it especially with my kids they would be into everything in seconds!
Oh and my M&Ms are Madison, Miranda & Miles :) So across the gate, the wall that the window is on is where I get to create bits of goodness and have a little bit of me time (yeah right...whats that??).and on this other side I have my computer and everything set up and a bookshelf with toys to occupy my M&Ms while I try to work (sometimes its actually works for whole minutes at a time !)

I keep all my thread on this peg board which really saves alot of space and I love it! My hubby put it up for me but its just basic peg board (I painted white) and added the 2in hooks to hang the thread on (if u order these hooks wholesale you can get them really cheap like 100 for $20. if you get them from a hardware store you will pay anywhere from .75 to 2.00 each. I didn't think I was going to have enough room but this actually holds all the thread I have except some really big rolls and they just sit by my machine.
I have a brother PR650 and I got the cabinet for it, I got a great deal on it and it doesn't take up much space and stores my stabilizers! The right side folds down too so if you don't use it you will have even more space, that was a plus when I got it but I iron on that side so it stays up most of the time. LOL
Here's a view standing at my machine...I know its a little cramped and if you are anything like me (just a teeny weeny bit OCD) then this can be a challenge at times but it seems to work...most days anyway! And of course this happens to be one of my messy days that I decided to take pictures for posting ! Being OCD & ADD is a mess so I pretty much stay in this vicious cycle all the time.
I use this book shelf for my materials and supplies and another storage container down to the right for more materials...I'm NEVER wasteful so most of my material and supplies go a long way! Nothing very fancy but it works, maybe one day I'll have one of those dreamy sewing rooms but I'm not going to hold my breath til then!


This is the opposite view of my tight headquarters...don't misunderstand my adjectives for complaining because I feel blessed to have what I have & I do love it but it can make it hard to think sometimes and make my brain feel scattered!!!

Last but not least this is where I keep my blanks...well some of them anyway the ones I use the most and that are in season, everything else stays in boxes until needed. Now that I have started the venture of having a website and selling my creations, I'm hoping at some point to slow down on my sewing for customers...I do enjoy it but I'm having a hard time trying to balance home, kids, custom orders & designing so I think pretty soon I will have to slow down something will have to give!


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing! I hear you about balancing it all! It's hard. I have 2 little ones as well. 2 boys. Age 7 and 10. They wouldn't consider themselves little :) I love every part of this sewing and creating but unless you do it, it's hard to understand how much is involved.

    ReplyDelete