Thursday, July 19, 2012

Inspirational must read!!

This is a guest post on my blog, I don't know her personally but she has an inspirational story (journey she has had) that I think is very touching and I would love to help build awareness and share her message!

 Heather Von St James is a 43-year-old wife and mother. Upon her diagnosis of mesothelioma, she vowed to be a source of hope for other patients who found themselves with the same diagnosis. Now, over 6 years later, her story has been helping people all over the globe. She continues her advocacy and awareness work by blogging, speaking and sharing her message of hope and healing with others. Check out her story at the Mesothelioma Cancer Alliance Blog.




Winning the Battle

One of the most wonderful times in a woman’s life is when she’s expecting a child.  I was blessed with a normal pregnancy and my excitement grew with each little movement and kick. Lily, my darling baby girl, was born vibrantly healthy with a full set of fingers and toes via emergency c-section on August 4, 2005.  My husband, his family, my parents and many dear friends, “my village” as I like to call them, were there throughout my pregnancy and Lily’s birth.  Life seemed perfect with so much to look forward to as each new chapter in this life unfolded.

I had to go back to work when Lily was about a month old.  I wasn’t feeling well but was told that the fatigue and breathlessness was because I had just given birth; a bad case of “baby blues.” However, I felt there was something wrong and contacted my doctor.  After many tests, the diagnosis revealed much more than we expected.

During one of the most joyous times of my life, with a three-and-a half-month-old baby girl, I was slapped with devastating news.  On November 21, 2005, I was diagnosed with malignant pleural mesothelioma; a type of cancer caused by exposure to asbestos. As it turns out, I came into contact with asbestos when I was just a child, 30 years ago. If that wasn’t bad enough, the doctor gave me 15 months to live unless I began treatment immediately.  I had so much to live for and I couldn’t imagine my loving husband and new baby girl having to go on with out me. I knew I had to do whatever I could to beat this monster and that meant getting the best treatment possible.

We headed to Boston, the home of one of the best mesothelioma doctors in the U.S.  My folks took care of Lily while my husband and I went off to seek his help.  On February 2, 2006, I underwent an extrapleural pneumonectomy, a procedure that removed the affected lung and all its surrounding tissues.  I stayed in the hospital for 18 days. Two months later, I started treatments of radiation and chemotherapy.

Throughout our time in Boston, our village grew. We met other families who were going through the same thing; their support was invaluable. They leaned on us and we leaned on them. Back in South Dakota, my parents gained their own little village. Girls who I used to baby-sit for, now grown with families of their own, offered to watch Lily while my parents worked. Their support means more to me than I can ever express.

Motherhood is a 24-hour joyful and stressful job but I never dreamed I would be battling the curse of mesothelioma at the same time.  It was so hard missing those cherished moments in the first year of Lily’s life. Those precious moments, that my parents shared with me though photos, made me determined to win this battle. My fight paid off, as I’m now cancer-free.

Along with the visions of my beautiful baby girl, it was “my village” of family and friends that gave me the strength to reach for the stars and beat this cancer.  I knew I needed to be here for those who loved and supported me through it all. Life is so precious and cancer is a curse; never give into it.


Diagnosis of Mesothelioma 

1 comment: